Going to DMV
Take the following items with you when going to DMV to get your learner's permit.
1. Driver's Education Certificate
2. Driver Eligibility Certificate
3. An original or certified copy of your birth certificate
4. Your social security card
5. Proof of residence
7. Parent or legal guardian must sign for you
Once at the DMV
1. You will take a written test - 25 questions, you must get 19 or more correct
2. You will get your eyes checked again - also take an oral test on 12 road signs
3. You will then get your picture taken for your limited learner's permit
4. You will fall under the graduated licensing law
Level One Learner Permit
If you are at least 15 years of age and have completed an approved driver education course, you may apply for a Level One Limited Learner Permit to operate vehicles requiring a Class C license:
- Drivers must be at least 15, but less than 18, years old and reside in NC.
- Drivers must pass written, sign, and vision tests.
- During the first six months, a Level One permit authorizes you to drive between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m. while accompanied by your supervising driver.
- Six months after Level One issuance, drivers are eligible to drive any time with their supervising driver.
- Before graduating to Level Two, drivers must keep this permit for at least 12 months and have no moving violations or seat belt infractions within the preceding six months.
Level Two Limited Provisional License
Drivers must be at least 16, but less than 18, years old.
The driver must present a certificate showing he/she has passed an approved driver education course before he/she can take the driver license test.
Drivers may drive without supervision from 5 a.m. until 9 p.m. and at any time when driving directly to or from work, any volunteer fire, rescue, or EMS.
Before going to Level Three, the driver must keep this license for at least six months and have no moving violations or seat belt infractions within the preceding six months.
May have only one passenger other than immediate family. Passenger must sit in the front seat and wear seatbelt.
Level Three Full Provisional License
**For all three levels, you are not permitted to use a mobile telephone or other additional technology associated with a mobile telephone while operating a mobile vehicle on a public street or highway or public vehicular area.